November 29, 2018. Bantayan, Cebu. JPIC-IDC held a Culmination Activity for the KKS BMZ Bantayan Project. The project that carries the title: Improvement of Living Conditions of Marginalized Families Affected by the Typhoon Haiyan in the Municipality of Bantayan, Philippines started August 1, 2015 and will end on December 31, 2018. The project is operational in barangays Guiwanon, Patao, Kabac and Putian including the small island of Mambacayao Daku of Barangay Lipayran.
The project is implemented by a dynamic team led by Project Coordinator Mechie Bas with Training Officer Marichu Menchavez and Community Development Officer Catherine Taleon. Providing the technical support on the livelihoods component is Consultant/Adviser Alberto Bartolata with Project Director Jeremy Inocian providing operational management support.
With the support from German Ministry of International Cooperation (BMZ) through the Karl Kűbel Stiftung (KKS), the project has achieved the following:
1) Built 40 housing units to resettle families living in high risk zones of barangays Patao and Kabac;
2) Set up a multipurpose building facility than is used as livelihoods skills training center and as evacuation shelter in times of disaster events;
3) Formed cooperative organizations to promote and value self-help among its members;
4) Provided organizational development and livelihoods skills/business management trainings the coop organizations (KPAPCC and GMPC) and the four (4) self-help groupd;
5) Provided highly subsidized capital to start up a consumer store business and to support the livelihoods activities of four (4) self-help groups (i.e., Kakanin, Dried Fish, Organic Farming and Pasalubong);
6) Installed solar power modules to 83 houses in the small island of Mambacayao for lighting and charging of mass communication gadgets.
The Culmination Activity is graced by the presence of LGU of Bantayan through the head of the Municipal Planning and Development Office Engr. Ethereal Diaz, the representatives of the barangay LGUs of Guiwanon, Patao, Kabac and Putian. All the four SHGs were represented and also all the BHWs of the barangays within the project area of the Bantayan Project.
The KKS Bantayan Team is under the direction of the JPIC-IDC Organizational Management Team led by Executive Director Fr. Romeo Cagatin, SVD with the financial management support of Finance Officer Adelina Pagapulaan and Project Accountant Augie Cui.
© Jeremy Inocian – Project Director